Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Passion for Probiotics

A lot of people ask why I'm so impassioned about probiotics. Two reasons.

First: I wanted to help many of my friends understand their illnesses better. The interesting thing was that I learned while reading the biomedical research was that many of those illnesses had the same underlying digestive mechanism: an imbalance in the gut microflora (bacteria).

Second: I've been obsessed with the fact that ulcers are not caused by spicy food, but are in fact caused by a species of bad bacteria called helicobacter pylori (the 2005 Nobel Prize was awarded for that fact). My obsession stems more from the understanding of what solutions people use to deal with the problem, in that the antacid industry does a great job of alleviating acid related pain but does not cure the underlying “bad bacteria” problem

So how do I help my friends? I try to fix the underlying problem.

And the easiest path to improving health is to supplement with “good” bacteria.

I hope to find the time to blog on a regular basis about gut health, the mechanisms of beneficial bacteria in the digestive system, and how our product and future products will be designed to help these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment